Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Student Life - What? Why?

Well, I think it is time for a more meaningful post. I have had quite a few random, albeit rather interesting, post thus far - so it is time to get something with a bit of substance out there. After all, is blogging not about the dissemination of ideas amongst like-minded people? It's all well and good to have a few interesting, quirky, cool posts, but now it's time for some intellectually sound discussion of life.

 

So where to start? I guess the main features of my life at the moment, as with most people, consist of; Uni, Work, Socializing. 

 

But why? Uni has recently seemed to me to be a complete wast of time. As you may know, I am currently in the second year of my Journalism/PR double degree. However I feel like i have learnt almost nothing. What is it all for? I (sometimes) go to classes for my majors, and learn boring information which anyone with some level of educated nouse is already well aware of, and the only subjects in which I actually manage to increase my intellect are Nazi Germany and Alexander the Great - highly interesting topics, granted - but to be honest, the are completely useless. I mean who really cares if Alexander's marriage to Rhoxane was out of love or politics? My tutor apparently.

 

So then, onto work. At risk of sounding arrogant and self absorbed - I am good at what I do. Very good. 

 

At Optus, I am one of the top salesmen, and now spend more time training others than actually working on the floor. To put it bluntly - I could sell shit to a toilet. And I’m good at teach others how to do the same. 

 

Teaching drums, I get nothing but positive feedback from my students, and, more importantly, their parents. I am teaching at one of the best schools in the country, and have increasing faith shown in me by my head of department.

 

So why waste time at uni?

 

I have recently been seriously considering dropping the whole game, and opening my own teaching studio. I already have great credentials in the industry, and would be able to continue working almost full time while running the studio after hours - exactly when school students want lessons. I will never again have a disposable income like I do now (living at home), so why not do something meaningful with it and attempt to set up a business.

 

It all comes back to two words. Conventions, and Expectations. 

 

I would argue that the reason 50% of students end up going to uni and then dropping out somewhere along the line is due to the fact that they only end up there in the first place because it is expected of them. It is convention to go to uni, and the most common perception people face is that you can only be successful in the modern world if you do so.

 

Nah. Screw that. Let's try something new!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment